Winter Adventure Planning

Okpik Winter Adventure

Step 1: Make a reservation

Step 2: Financial Planning

Step 3: Selecting a Program

  • Okpik provides a variety of different program options to help crews plan trips that match their desires and needs.
    • Introductory treks (Cabin Stay Program) that acquaint scouts with the basics of outdoor winter activities.
    • Intermediate treks (Okpik Camping Weekend) that focus on developing higher skills, like snow camping, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, etcetera.
    • Dog Sled Programs include our popular Musher Camp, which serves as an introduction to dog sledding and our Dog Trek program which combines winter camping skills with the thrill of dogsledding.
  • Most trips occur over weekends throughout the winter months (January to the first weekend of March) with the exception of our Holiday Stay Program. The Holiday Stay opens the season (December 27 – January 1) and allows crews to take longer trips and to customize their experience to a greater degree. There may have been some updates to Okpik since the last time you attended.
  • To learn more about each of the treks visit our Winter Adventures page

Step 4: Preparing for Northern Tier

Step 5: Required Documents

  • The following documents must be absolutely complete upon arrival on base:
    • Health and Medical Record
      – Every participant must have an up-to-date “Health and Medical Record.” They must meet all health restrictions to be permitted to go on trail.
    • Crew Roster – Must be submitted prior to arrival
    • Wilderness First-Aid Training – At least one adult advisor must have proof (completion certificate) of BSA approved Wilderness First Aid training. Minimum WFA course length is 16-hours.
    • CPR Training – At least one adult advisor must have proof (completion certificate) of CPR Training
    • BSA E-certifications – At least one adult advisor must have proof of training (completion certificates) in each of the following BSA E certifications: All Adult Advisors must have proof of training in Youth Protection and at least one (1) adult training in Hazardous Weather. 
    • Fishing Licenses – If your crew wants to fish you will need to purchase the appropriate license.
      • Northern Tier recommends that all Fishing Licenses be purchased online in advance of your trip. If youth under the age of 16  would like to fish, they can fish under the license of a single adult. However, their catch will be restricted to this adult’s limit.
      • MINNESOTA FISHING LICENSES- All individuals, 16 years of age and older need to obtain a license to fish in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW), licenses can be purchased in advanced over the phone by calling 1-888-665-4236, or online. For current pricing and license information visit the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
        NOTE: A Social Security Number is required to obtain a Minnesota Fishing License.

Step 6: Trip Planning Resources